The E46 BMW 330i sedan won comparison test after comparison test on the strength of its performance and handling prowess. Never being a company to leave well enough alone, the introduction of the Performance Package raised the driving experience of the BMW 3 Series Sedan to an even higher standard.
The E46 330i Performance Package (Option Code: "ZHP") was created exclusively for the U.S. market for enthusiasts by enthusiasts at BMW Individual, a division of BMW M GmbH. There was no aspect of the driving experience that had not been enhanced by the Performance Package. Modifications to the 3.0-liter in-line six-cylinder engine, which included different camshafts and performance-modified Digital Motor Electronics, yielded a 10 horsepower increase to 235. For the first time in a 330i a six-speed manual transmission came standard. With the Performance Package it included a short-throw shifter. The package also included a shorter final drive ratio.
The benefits of these modifications were immediately apparent - the E46 330i with a Performance Package accelerates from 0 to 60 miles-per-hour in 6 seconds, about half a second faster than a standard 330i. To match the straight-line performance a new sports suspension, more aggressively tuned than the 330i's standard sport suspension, is mated to 18-inch wheels with mixed-size performance tires. In addition to the wheels and tires the exterior of the 330i Performance Package is distinguished by it's Aerodynamic Package, black headlight trim, high gloss shadowline trim and an exhaust system that not only appears but also sounds more aggressive.
The look and feel of the interior had been refined with cloth and Alcantara sport seats matching the Alcantara sport steering wheel. An anthracite headliner and Black cube aluminum trim completed an ambiance tailored to the enthusiast. Silver cube aluminum trim was optional. The instrumentation included red needles while the tachometer reflected the modified engine's 300 higher rpm limit.
Upgrades and Modifications:
- Euro style clear front park/turn lenses
- Euro style clear LED taillights
- Front license plate delete
- Blacked-out front kidney grills
- M3 style mirrors
- DICE factory stereo iPod integration
- Adjustable clutch stop
- Hotchkis adjustable front and rear anti-sway bars
- BBS RGR 18x8.5 diamond black wheels
- Engine: 3.0 liter (2979cc), inline 6 cylinder, 4 valves per cylinder
- Bore x Stroke: 84mm x 90mm
- Compression Ratio: 10.2:1
- Horse Power: 235 @ 5900 rpm
- Torque: 300 ft. lbs. @ 3500 rpm
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
- Final Drive: 3.07:1
- Front Brakes: 325mm, vented discs w/ABS, single-pot calipers
- Rear Brakes: 320mm vented discs w/ABS, single-pot calipers
- Curb Weight: 3395 LBS (1539.7 KG)
- 0-60 MPH: 6.1 SEC
- 1/4 Mile: 14.42 SEC @ 96.88 MPH
- Braking 60-0 MPH: 109 FT
- Skidpad: 0.84 G
- 600-ft slalom: 67.5 MPH